The Allspice plant, fascinatingly, derives its name from the English, who thought it combined the flavour of Cinnamon, Nutmeg, and Cloves.
Allspice leaves powder, commonly known as "Kabab Chini" is a blend of several masalas and spices including cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, juniper, and peppercorn.
In India, the leaves of the Allspice plants are used for preparing meat dishes and chutneys. It is also used for preparing desserts such as cakes on account of the flavour they provide.
Allspice Leaves Uses:
Although there is no sufficient evidence for its effectiveness, allspice is used for treating:
- Intestinal gas.
- Heavy menstrual bleeding.
- Emptying the bowels.
Allspice Leaves Benefits:
The minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants found in allspice have several health benefits.
Many of its compounds are being studied as potential treatments for inflammation, nausea, and even cancer.
- Reduces Inflammation
- Treat Nausea
- Prevent Infection
- Pain Relief
- Ease Menopause Symptoms
- Slows Cancer Growth
Allspice Leaves Recipes:
Here are some popular ways you can add allspice to your diet.
- Sprinkle ground allspice on roast vegetables
- Make jerk chicken in the traditional Jamaican style, with lots of allspice
- Sprinkle some allspice into your tea.
- Add allspice to curries or stews to add heat and depth
- Mix allspice with cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves to make your own pumpkin spice blend
- Brew allspice tea
- Add allspice to a meat rub to add flavour to roasts